Random daylight running lights and preload indicator on R1200RS

A new forum for this model of BMW creations only. No posts/threads for older 1200 oil cooled models please.

Moderator: Moderators

TomG
'BMW Club' Member

Random daylight running lights and preload indicator on R1200RS

Post by TomG » 11 Dec 2023 20:39

Hi All,

I recently added a cable harness for a Gerbing heated jacket direct to the battery of my R1200RS. I then noticed some random behaviour on the daylight running lights and the arrow indicator as if the suspension preload button has been pressed.

I bought a new battery and tried several combinations of disconnecting and reconnecting the harness. The daylight running light still appears to come on randomly in daylight conditions (it is mostly on night lights, so safe to ride). The preload indicator appears to come on when slowing to a stop and then goes off when moving at more than about 10 mph.

The bike was at the dealers recently for this and the peg recall. They also checked and replaced the drive shaft! They could not find what was causing the random electronic issue and are in conversation with BMW. Anyone here have an idea of what the issue could be and a possible cure while I wait for BMW and the dealer get back to me?

Thanks.

spoonfed
'BMW Club' Member

Re: Random daylight running lights and preload indicator on R1200RS

Post by spoonfed » 11 Dec 2023 23:17

Is the problem evident without the jacket connected or just when jacket powered up?

Rob Frankhamr
Forum member

Post by Rob Frankhamr » 12 Dec 2023 10:42

spoonfed wrote:
11 Dec 2023 23:17
Is the problem evident without the jacket connected or just when jacket powered up?
Sounds like it could be a poor connection. Check all connections you can are clean and tight.. especially those that you have disturber while fitting the jacket wiring.

Rob
R60/6 (1976), R100RS (1981) and R80RT (1987)

TomG
'BMW Club' Member

Post by TomG » 14 Dec 2023 20:30

Thanks all,

The issues are present regardless of whether the jacket is connected or not. I have checked the connections, although I only touched the battery cables.

Chased the dealer and appears they haven't had a satisfactory answer from BMW, but hadn't chased it either, or let me know. There are no error messages, so looks like the bike has got confused and is sending some odd messages on the canbus.

Time for a deep debug at a different dealer I feel! :(

spoonfed
'BMW Club' Member

Post by spoonfed » 15 Dec 2023 12:34

If you disconnect the harness does the bike work OK , presumably you didnt have an issue before . I used to work for Land Rover & under development we had varies electronic issues with new vehicles . Routing of harnesses and cables had to be tightly controlled . Laying them next to the body structure or in a channel was good practise, and certainly leaving them across any free air was asking for problems as it would turn into an antenna, picking up or radiating pulses to upset the canbus . I wonder if the additional wiring is doing this

Return to “R1200/1250 watercooled bikes”