Auxiliary Driving Lights Not Staying On

A new forum for this model of BMW creations only. No posts/threads for older 1200 oil cooled models please.

Moderator: Moderators

KRSBrick
'BMW Club' Member

Auxiliary Driving Lights Not Staying On

Post by KRSBrick » 16 Nov 2023 16:50

My BMW R1200RT LC motorbike has two driving Auxiliary lights fitted on the crash bars a few years ago by a local BMW dealer.
When I turn on the ignition both lights come on straight away then after around one minute they fade away?
Once the engine is running whether I have the dipped beam on or the two LED lights either side on I can no longer get the two auxiliary lights to come on.
Have connected up my GS-911 and it is showing no faults in the electrical area, so still at a mystery why I can't get them to come back on when the engine is up and running. Have gone through the thumbwheel and put lights on and off with just the LED circular ones on. Has anybody come across this problem or know what is going on.

The bike has not had any firmware updates since 2016 when it was purchased so nothing should have changed. If there was a short to earth then surely they would not come on when the ignition switch is turned on?

KRSBrick
'BMW Club' Member

Re: Auxiliary Driving Lights Not Staying On

Post by KRSBrick » 20 Nov 2023 14:02

After checking out everything and plugged the GS-911 back in I still could not find any hint of a problem.
Decided to disconnect the main battery lead to the electrics and have a cup of tea.
Reconnect the battery leads back on and turn on the ignition switch. The two auxiliary lights came back on and stayed on when the engine was started up.
So somehow it got itself into a muddle and now works correctly again. just have to be one of those mysterious faults that has gone away.
One to add to my own personal maintenance book for BMW’s over some forty years.

Kickstarter
'BMW Club' Member

Re: Auxiliary Driving Lights Not Staying On

Post by Kickstarter » 09 Dec 2023 23:15

Technology is a wonderful thing (when it works)!

Return to “R1200/1250 watercooled bikes”