R27 - Rear View Mirrors?

Technical questions and answers regarding early air-cooled models pre 1969.

Moderator: Moderators

CambridgeClive
'BMW Club' Member

R27 - Rear View Mirrors?

Post by CambridgeClive » 14 Apr 2023 15:28

I've just acquired an R27 in good rideable order and after half a generation away from motorcycling I'm venturing out again. There are a couple of things I'd like to fix on the bike and am hoping for some advice/direction, my second query:-
The bike doesn't have any rear view mirrors. I believe that when delivered new in Germany a mirror was supplied that fitted into the M8 socket in the clutch leaver bracket (on the LHS only). No facility on the RHS. I also believe that the bike could be fitted with 'Albert mirrors' attached to the headlight, though I'm not too fond of this idea.
A) Any suggestions as to a rideable solution for the RHS in keeping with the bike?
B) If I found and fitted after market 'Albert mirrors to one or both sides, do I need the chromed semi-circular fitting over the headlight that I've seen in some 'photos?
I have a temporary RHS mirror fitted with a clamp bracket for the time being - but it's ugly with insufficient reach to be a good solution.
Thanks in advance...

John King
Forum Administrator

Mirrors

Post by John King » 14 Apr 2023 17:08

My R1100RS is fitted with a similar mirror on the righthand side with an 8mm right hand thread that may fit if you can find one and not look too much out of place.

You could always try giving Motorworks a call who usually deal with more modern BMW's but they break bike of all eras from the 50's. If they don't have one off a 250 single, they may have something similar possibly of a R60 or R69s.

CambridgeClive
'BMW Club' Member

Re: Mirrors

Post by CambridgeClive » 14 Apr 2023 18:07

John King wrote:My R1100RS is fitted with a similar mirror on the righthand side with an 8mm right hand thread that may fit if you can find one and not look too much out of place.

You could always try giving Motorworks a call who usually deal with more modern BMW's but they break bike of all eras from the 50's. If they don't have one off a 250 single, they may have something similar possibly of a R60 or R69s.
Thanks John; that's a really useful suggestion - I'll certainly follow it through...

Greybeard
'BMW Club' Member

Post by Greybeard » 14 Apr 2023 19:33

A nice looking machine, CC (but owning an early R60, I am biased ) It might be worthwhile bookmarking these sites for parts. Ive dealt with both and found them very helpful and fast on delivery

https://www.meyer-bikes.de/index.php?pa ... onlineshop

http://www.motorrad-stemler.de/index_e.htm

Steve

CambridgeClive
'BMW Club' Member

Post by CambridgeClive » 15 Apr 2023 14:44

Greybeard wrote:A nice looking machine, CC (but owning an early R60, I am biased ) It might be worthwhile bookmarking these sites for parts. Ive dealt with both and found them very helpful and fast on delivery

https://www.meyer-bikes.de/index.php?pa ... onlineshop

http://www.motorrad-stemler.de/index_e.htm

Steve
Really helpful, thanks - I've already spent some time perusing the mayer site, very user-friendly with it's translation button and clear categories and navigation.

BozF
'BMW Club' Member

Re: R27 - Rear View Mirrors?

Post by BozF » 17 Oct 2023 19:50

I had an old Stadium(?) mirror that fitted in to end of the handle bar on my R60/2. I recall it needed some adhoc shimming for the expanding clamp to bite. Anyway that went some time ago and recently I fitted a spare bicyle mirror into the bar end. Works well enough to see if something is there.

Rob Frankhamr
Forum member

Re: R27 - Rear View Mirrors?

Post by Rob Frankhamr » 18 Oct 2023 07:56

BozF wrote:
17 Oct 2023 19:50
I had an old Stadium(?) mirror that fitted in to end of the handle bar on my R60/2. I recall it needed some adhoc shimming for the expanding clamp to bite. Anyway that went some time ago and recently I fitted a spare bicyle mirror into the bar end. Works well enough to see if something is there.
The old ''Stadium' bar end mirrors ( or a very reasonable facsimile thereof) are still available, now produced by 'Halcyon Classic Parts' - https://classicpartsltd.com/820-halcyon ... irror.html - and, yes, the bar clamp does appear to have been improved...

I haven't tried them... used the old Stadium ones on bikes a long time ago and decided that the position wasn't as good as a standard mounted mirror. I also had issues with that clamp which didn't want to stay tight... It was good to be able to flip the mirror heads in when going through a gap though.

Rob
R60/6 (1976), R100RS (1981) and R80RT (1987)

Return to “Pre-1969 Airheads Technical Q & A”