K1200s electrical shutdown

Technical questions and answers regarding the later K1200 / 1300 transverse engined K series motorcycles

Moderator: Moderators

leonyaw
Forum member

K1200s electrical shutdown

Post by leonyaw » 14 Aug 2023 14:53

I have a 2005 K1200s, which I have had from new, it has done 38000 miles, and has been regularly serviced. I was out for a ride yesterday and I was joining a duel carriageway from a slip road. I accelerated up to speed, joined the dual carriageway, then the engine completely stopped, the led was blank. I managed to coast to a safe place (phew!). The ignition key was still in the on position but there was nothing on the led screen. I turned the ignition key to off, and then on again, the led screen went through its normal startup procedure and the bike started and ran normally. I drove home with no further problems.

In 2018 I had exactly the same thing happen in an identical scenario. The bike was checked by BMW and a loose battery connection was found. since then I have not had any problems, until yesterday.

When I returned home I checked the battery terminals and they were both secure.

The bike has been booked in to be looked at, but unfortunately not till the 31st. I would appreciate any views or ideas as to what the problem could be.

mike delacoe
'BMW Club' Member

Re: K1200s electrical shutdown

Post by mike delacoe » 14 Aug 2023 16:22

Do you have more than just the bike key on the key ring? If you have a bunch of keys it can lead to wear creating an intermittent connection.

Having said that, given that the problem has only occurred twice I would be looking at the main battery connections again.

A lot of BMWs suffered from overtight tie wraps on the wiring loom usually around the steering stem area. Try moving the handle bars lock to lock and see if causes the problem.

A GS-911 scan may show a poor battery.

Mike
BMW Club Tool Hire Secretary

leonyaw
Forum member

Post by leonyaw » 14 Aug 2023 16:56

Thanks Mike, I will mention these points to the mechanic when I put my bike in. I will also have a new battery fitted, as this one has been on the bike for quite some time. Thanks again for responding. I will keep the forum updated.

Rob Frankhamr
Forum member

Post by Rob Frankhamr » 15 Aug 2023 08:45

leonyaw wrote:
14 Aug 2023 14:53
I have a 2005 K1200s, which I have had from new, it has done 38000 miles, and has been regularly serviced. I was out for a ride yesterday and I was joining a duel carriageway from a slip road. I accelerated up to speed, joined the dual carriageway, then the engine completely stopped, the led was blank. I managed to coast to a safe place (phew!). The ignition key was still in the on position but there was nothing on the led screen. I turned the ignition key to off, and then on again, the led screen went through its normal startup procedure and the bike started and ran normally. I drove home with no further problems.

In 2018 I had exactly the same thing happen in an identical scenario. The bike was checked by BMW and a loose battery connection was found. since then I have not had any problems, until yesterday.

When I returned home I checked the battery terminals and they were both secure.

The bike has been booked in to be looked at, but unfortunately not till the 31st. I would appreciate any views or ideas as to what the problem could be.
This resonates with a problem I had on Sunday with an older bike admittedly but it might be worth considering.

The issue was a sudden stop electrical failure preceded by electrical issues followed by a complete electical failure. No point in going through the whole diagnostic process but the problem turned out to be a build up of corrosion and dirt on the positive battery terminal. The terminal was still tight and secure but the interface between the main battery lead was black and obviously not passing any current. A quick clean up and all is good. The point is that, just because the battery terminal is tight and secure, it doesn't necessarily mean it's passing current.

Of course, it may be something else completely but worth checking.

Rob
R60/6 (1976), R100RS (1981) and R80RT (1987)

leonyaw
Forum member

Post by leonyaw » 15 Aug 2023 12:23

Thanks Rob, This is something I can look at myself. I will investigate. I will keep you updated.

leonyaw
Forum member

Post by leonyaw » 16 Aug 2023 14:50

Hi Rob/Mike, Just been to the garage to check the battery. I disconnected the terminals, they both looked quite clean, but I gave them a good clean up anyway. I started the bike, and moved the steering from lock to lock a number of times, the engine continued to run normally. The trouble is I don't know whether it is cured or not, unless I take the bike out for a test ride. I also checked the cable ties around the headstock, they are indeed very tight, so I will get my mechanic to adjust them on the 31st August. Hopefully when he checks the bike an error code might appear.

Rob Frankhamr
Forum member

Post by Rob Frankhamr » 21 Aug 2023 09:07

leonyaw wrote:
16 Aug 2023 14:50
Hi Rob/Mike, Just been to the garage to check the battery. I disconnected the terminals, they both looked quite clean, but I gave them a good clean up anyway. I started the bike, and moved the steering from lock to lock a number of times, the engine continued to run normally. The trouble is I don't know whether it is cured or not, unless I take the bike out for a test ride. I also checked the cable ties around the headstock, they are indeed very tight, so I will get my mechanic to adjust them on the 31st August. Hopefully when he checks the bike an error code might appear.
Ah, the joys of intermittent faults. Good luck

Rob
R60/6 (1976), R100RS (1981) and R80RT (1987)

leonyaw
Forum member

Post by leonyaw » 27 Sep 2023 10:37

Just thought I would give an update on my bike electrical problems. I have had the bike for 2 weeks now and it appears to be ok.

The bike has had a new battery, a new antenna unit, plus a full service and check over. There were no fault codes registered. Hopefully thta is the end of it !!!!

Thanks everyone for your advice and support.

mike delacoe
'BMW Club' Member

Post by mike delacoe » 27 Sep 2023 13:34

Thanks for taking the time to post the outcome and thus close the loop.

On forums sometimes posters never return to say what the outcome was.

Mike
BMW Club Tool Hire Secretary

Return to “Duolever K1200 / K1300 Series Tech Q & A”